Saturday, March 8, 2014

Philosophy

I think have one regarding quilt backs. I like to use the back of my quilts to use up all the fabric scraps I have created while piecing the front. Since I principally work without a pattern, I can create a few large number of fabric bits and pieces that do not want to become fabric orphans. So, I use the back of my quilts to get those scraps out and get them arranged into some pleasing configuration and make it work.
Last year, there was a fun series of blog posts about quilt backs by Kate at Swing Bike Quilt. Many of my quilting friends have posted wonderful photos of their quilt backs. Since I was late to the game, I missed out posting about quilt backs, although I did take the opportunity to link a few of my photos to the group pool.

But it did get me thinking about the why of my quilt backs, which have run the gambit from simple to complex and nearly everything in between. I try to be purposeful when piecing the backs; trying to use more of what I have without adding to my already healthy (that's a pseudonym for obscene) fabric stash all the while desperately trying to keep the overflowing scraps in ONE drawer in my tiny sewing room. I hope to make a real dent in what I have on hand. Perhaps I'll be the ONLY person to notice, but I'm already feeling good about it.

Quilt backs- the quilt fronts and their stories can be found here.















10 comments:

  1. Your quilt backs are lovely. I need to make some backs so I can quilt some more quilts on my new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I love pieced backs even though I don't always take the time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the look of all your pieced backs. I usually go for the all one fabric back simply because i don't want to take any more time piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your backs. They are much more detailed then mine.

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your backs are little works of art! Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the variety of your quilt backs. I've recently started making the backs of my quilts almost as "quilty" as the front, which I'm actually starting to re-think. But I like the way the backs of your quilts use up scraps and are all unique, without being too intense. I think I'm going to rethink my quilt back philosophy. Thanks for some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful quilt backs! Very inspiring! I do love a pieced back, I'm usually in too much of a hurry to get it finished by the time I get to the back though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I work about half and half between making a back puzzle from unused quilt pieces and left over fabric, and using a fabric specifically purchased only for the back. I love your backs. Super neat ideas in your piecing on them. The fun thing about backs like this is you get a nice two-for-one reversible quilt a lot of the times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are nice backs. I usually run out of steam when I finished the front and I don't have the energy to do any more math to figure out the back pieces.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….