Saturday, June 7, 2014

"Inspired by"

I gave away pillows for Mother's Day, but it didn't occur to me that perhaps Dad's like pillows too.
I got a funny text from my sister-in-law thanking me for her Mother's Day pillow.
 She mentioned that her husband, my brother-in-law, thought the pillow looked great, but lonely on the couch (ha!). So, since he has a birthday close to the end of May and with Father's Day just around the corner, I'm guessing that perhaps he wants a pillow too. Same shape as the other and with similar colors but the design is totally different.

This time I went with linen and improv inset curves.  I pieced the pillow log cabin style rotating the pieced strips so that the inset curves were running in different directions. Then I used lots of punctuated dense quilting. I washed the linen first and I must say, it's a very tactile and soft pillow. I love it!  My brother-in-law is an art dealer. I hope this appeals to his sensibilities.
The back is linen with an exposed black zipper, simple and unadorned.

Details:
"Running in Different Directions"
Rectangle pillow 16 x24"(IKEA pillow inset)
Gray (I believe the color is "elephant"), mid-weight linen, pre washed (from Fabric.com)
Misc. gray print 100% cotton quilting cotton scraps, various makers. Solids: Kona snow, crocus and pond.
Aurifil 50 wt, 100% Mako cotton, #2021 (off white) and #2605 (gray)- piecing and some quilting, Aurifil #2582 (purple).


It's been pouring and hailing here, off and on, for several days, so you grab the time you have to photograph and hope for the best!



3 comments:

  1. I love this pillow, its so sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Men do like pillows too. I haven't seen that size form - I think it would work well for a couch pillow. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pillow! It is such a clean, simple design but so effective! It is sure to be a hit!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….