I started with the idea of using a traditional block, Jacob's coat, in my partner's requested colors and linen.
(We have to incorporate a circle somewhere in the project, hence the block selection). It was well received, but once I decided on the size, traced, cut, ironed, turned edges, used glue (yup, a first for me), basted and then hand sewed the pieces to the linen background, it still seemed to be missing something.
So, being someone more daring in my quilting life than in person, I shrunk the petal size by 50%, and repeated the whole process adding a secondary layer to the pattern. I finished the "block" by adding a central hexi and coordinating hand stitching.
Variegated teal embroidery floss
|Hand stitching detail|
|More hand stitching|
So, without further adieu……may I present Jacqueline……..
|Jacqueline, (modification of Jacob's Coat quilt block)|
12 individual quilting cottons in teal, aqua, yellows and greens backed in natural linen
finished size about 20" x 20"
|Hand stitching close-up, tres chic.|
|Central Hexi, with what else…. French knots!|
I used the remaining half scale "petals" and did a modified Orange Peel Block (also circular) on the back
The design mimics the fabric, just on a grander scale (oooh la la)
Hand stitching details in the linen portion of the Orange Peel Block