Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wiggle and Dash


I keep telling myself it REALLY was only yesterday. And if that IS the case, time flies when you're having fun. My little boy is going to college and he asked me for a quilt. Actually he asked for 2, one for himself and one for his roommate.
Cameron (l) and  Bridger (r)
Luckily, they have know each other for their entire lives, being only 3 weeks different in age and all.
My son looked through my quilting books and much like me, prefers bold graphic design. I wanted to add a bit of his college colors (black and gold) to the 2 quilts, but also wanted both to have something unique. (I'm not big into "match-matchy").

So, both boys will get their quilts in time for their first day of college. One quilt is done and one is almost done. Both have similar colors, (save one), both are modern and bold.

Wiggle and Dash- Bridger's Quilt
Front
 94 x 71 inches ( a little bigger than a standard twin, for those extra long college mattresses).
Original design (pieces and quilted  by me!). Wavy line FMQ with coordinating colored thread.
Materials: 100% Kona cottons, solids in: Charcoal, Iron grey, Curry and Chinese Red (front). Addition of Metro circles (back). Aurifil 100% Mako cotton thread in 50 wt: 2021 (off white), 2630 (dk grey), 2625 (med grey), 2140 (yellow), 2250 (red)
100% organic bamboo batting

back
Front, medium view (Chinese Red "dash")

Front, medium view (Curry "dashes")

Front, close-up, wavy FMQ

Front, close-up, wavy FMQ

Back, great way to use up those left over scraps

Shhhhh, He likes it!
Keeped tuned for Cameron's Quilt- "Fractured Cosmos", coming soon.




13 comments:

  1. Aw, how cute! Both the baby pictures and the fact that he asked for a quilt for college -- I hope my kids ask me for quilts when they get older. :)

    Did he know you were taking that picture of him sleeping? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, such a lovely gift and yes, how the time flies. I really love your design, it is so modern and just great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous quilt....I love love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, all I can think to say is that I feel really blessed to know you. You are an inspiration, Stephanie, in so many ways. As a quilter, as a mother, as a friend. These quilts are beautiful and amazing -- just like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw a picture of your quilt posted by Aurifil on Facebook, and I had to come here for a closer look. Your quilt is amazing, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The colors, waviness, and quilting make a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just delightful! So cool the best buddies are going to college together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks great - really creative and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is just gorgeous, and I look forward to seeing the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this quilt! Good luck to your son and his buddy. My son just graduated from high school, too, but he's heading for the Marines in September. Can't bring a quilt with him. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. That is great. You should post a picture of them together now. Looking forward to your next quit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous quilt!!! Can't wait to see the next one!
    Isn't it amazing how fast they grow up...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love this one, it is just stunning! I love the simple and so effective pattern

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….