Title: "Two Bees are Better than One"
Size: 98" x 98"
Design (front): Starburst blocks from 12 Month Quilting Bee, set in an original design
Design (back): Seminole Patchwork Strips from Always Bee Learning, set in an original design
Quilting: FMQ "scallops"
Material: 100% cotton quilting fabrics, assorted; Major solids- Kona curry and paprika; Threads: YLI (paprika), Auriful (curry)- top; bobbin- YLI paprika
Batting: organic bamboo
|close-up of scalloped quilting (after washing), front|
|use of Seminole Patchwork strips from Always Bee Learning , back|
1. It was time to use some of the beautiful blocks I have received from various Bees. In this case, I used one set for the front of the quilt and the other set for the back.
2. Some times procrastination makes for a beautiful quilt
3. I tried organic bamboo batting for the first time and had some interesting problems. I found it to be very fragile. While quilting the batting often coated the thread and pulled through to the top and bottom of the quilt. I thought perhaps washing would get rid of the batting "dust" but instead, this is what happened:
Much like pilling on a sweater. It was embedded in the quilt top, and it wouldn't come off with one of those tape rollers, so I had to resort to a sweater shaver to remove all the pill. It took hours to get both the front and the back pill free. I haven't ever had this happen with cotton or wool batting. I'm not sure I'm excited about using bamboo again (even though I have enough for one more quilt).