Monday, May 7, 2018

Pantone 2018- Ultraviolet

The 2018 Pantone Color of the year is Ultraviolet. The Pantone color of the year quilt challenge is hosted by Bryan House Quilts and No Hats Quilts.


I don't typically work with "purples" but I had the opportunity to to make a mini as part of the Mini Quilt Swap run through the Modern Quilt Guild for QuiltCon 2018.
My partner loves purples, so pairing it with some neutrals and some shocking turquoise and lime, off I went.
I added some hand stitching to the improv mini and even some fringe (that was fun).




I got all the way to California before I realized that I hadn't photographed the quilt. So, not the best photo, but it's the only one I have.
Mauvéine  (about 24" x 24")

Here is what we swapped. Shelly Gilliland was my partner. You can tell we both loved what our partners made. 

In case any of you are wondering about the quilts name: Mauvèine- The name comes from a young British chemist, William Perkin who was trying to synthesize quinine in the lab. Instead he ended up making the first aniline dye, known as Perkins Purple, aniline purple, or mauvèine. Prior to this discovery, the dye was extracted by harvesting and processing (in lead vats) millions of marine snails (Bolinus branderis). By synthesizing this "royal dye" he not only made the color available to the masses, but also saved the lives of millions of snails. 
photo from Wikipedia


Good luck to all the purple quilt makers out there. There are some gorgeous ones to look at and admire in the linky party!





1 comment:

  1. Both very nice and colorful quilts. I am not too big on purple either, but made a quilt for Pantone this year too.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….