Saturday, March 28, 2015

Marching ahead

The month of March was busy.
Got my groove on in some fun and fascinating Bees:
Bee Sewcial- Transparency was the theme this month for Melissa at weshallsew.
I found that I like transparency although when you layer yellow and blue Kona solids, do you get green or darker blue? Whatever, I did sketch both blocks (not my usual plan of attack and found that it was fun to fit within Melissa's guidelines for one 14" block and one 9" block.
I ripped this out 2 x before I got the look I wanted. Totally worth it.

I'm demonstrating my poor math skills. Getting real…..
I did fix my mathematical problem
 and finished with 2 blocks that I must say, made me want to get right back into this whole transparency theme.


Birthday Bandy Swap this month was for Lizzie (agalinsweden). I went with 2 suggestions from the birthday girl and made a round 20.5" table "runner" or topper in mustard and aqua (and cream). The design was a tester for the X-Factor swap which is Drunkards path for this round. I purchased some Drunkards path Loc Bloc's and thought I'd give them a try. They worked like a dream. I added a bit of improv and some dense FMQ and viola!

Front

Back
 I found the binding a bit challenging, and had a waited a bit longer might have found this tutorial from        S.O.T.A.K handmade most helpful. But my gift was in mail before this helpful tutorial. I made it work. I like what I made.  I went to town with the FMQ and I hope Lizzie likes it.
Close-up FMQ

More FMQ


I also included a few little surprises just for the birthday girl one with a nod to her love of photography, but I'll let her have that surprise privately.

Haven (do.good stitches). Blocks designed by Courtney (courtypie/ monpetitlyons). Pretty and quick and lovely for spring. My stash leans heavily away from florals, but I found some fabric that worked. The quilt will be scrappy so these should fit right in.


I also gave an small tutorial at my local guild on inset seams. If you missed it you can find it here.  The title is catchy if nothing else.
Taught some at Fabricate Boulder, received all my quilts from QuiltCon and started working with some fun new fabric. I got my Riley Blake MQG challenge fabric in the mail. I currently do not have a plan. I need to get one.

I finished 3 quilts (late February and March) and have been sharing bits on IG. Finished quilt photos and stories here soon.
One is for my father-in-laws 80th birthday in his colors (translated = not my colors; BUT I did love working with that palette).
One for the 2015 Pantone Color of the Year (Marsala) Challenge.
One is a test quilt using some fun new fabric, more metallic threads and color play.

In addition, I'll be popping in occasionally at the Denver Art Museum on Sunday Afternoon for the  SewFA Lounge @ the DAM Thread Studio 12:30 till 3:30 pm. If you are at the museum, please come and say Hi. I'll be on the 6th floor, Textiles Thread Studio.






3 comments:

  1. Beautiful month, I love each of these projects. Your birthday swap people get the best presents from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely looks like fun! Agree the transparency was challenging but good to experience and your birthday gift is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Stephanie! Looking forward to the other quilts revealed!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….